Although mostly ignored, our mental health is very crucial for a happy life. Mental health refers to the cognitive behavior, emotions, and well-being of a mind. According to mental health specialists, anyone, whether old or young, rich or poor, can encounter mental health problems. It affects the stability of your physical health, relationships, and, quite obviously, your overall life.
Mental health has the power to make your good day terrible or vice versa or even change your ability to enjoy life. Daily stresses of your life, biological factors such as gene and brain chemistry, taking medications that cause depression as a side effect, and life experiences such as trauma, bullying, or abuse are important mental health triggers. Even minor issues can disrupt your mental stability.
Early Signs Of Mental Health Disorders
• Eating or sleeping too much or too little
• Having low energy
• Avoiding people or community gatherings
• Having unexplained aches or pains
• Smoking, drinking or using drugs more
• Having a change of emotions quite frequently
• Feeling helpless or hopeless
• Having bad temper (yelling or fighting)
• Thinking of harming yourself or others around you
• Not working or performing daily routine tasks productively
• Unable to contribute to the community.
Different Kinds Of Mental Health Disorders
• Anxiety: The throat clogging feeling of fear that you can’t seem to shake is anxiety. It is the most common disorder among important mental health illnesses. Anxiety can cause panic disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
• Mood disorders: We all have bad days, but if you feel that nothing on this planet can cheer you up or increase your inner energy, then you are facing ‘depression.’ Depression affects 6.7% (more than 16 million) of American adults each year. Bipolar disorder is also a mental illness where you keep switching between high and low emotions.
• Schizophrenia: It is a highly complex condition and is still being researched. The infected individual has thoughts that appear fragmented. You can have delusions or hear voices that you can’t see or hear otherwise. Schizophrenic people also find it hard to process information.
There are different kinds of treatments available these days, so select the one that works best for you. Experts believe that a patient who is aware of their situation is the best judge for himself or herself. Some important mental health treatments include:
• Psychotherapy (talking therapies): This approach deals with the psychological state of mind calmed through different kinds of sessions and activities arranged with a mental health specialist.
• Medication: Even though it does not directly cater to the psychological issue itself, but it has proven to make your mental state more stable.
• Self-help: You can make changes to your lifestyle to de-stress yourself. You can reduce alcohol/ drug intake, sleep more, eat well, talk to your friends or family about it, and try to be positive.
Metroplex Medical Centre-Fort Worth is one of our newer practices opened in 2019 in Downtown Fort Worth. Similar to Downtown Dallas, it has been created as an urban medical center catering to the needs of the busy working individual and those living downtown. This office is conveniently located close to all the main office buildings and attractions like Sundance Square and Water Garden.